MA Law (SQE1) is a law conversion course and includes our SQE1 Preparation Course, which prepares students for the SQE1 assessments. The course is designed for non-law graduates who want to qualify as a solicitor and gain a legal qualification at Master’s level. As an internationally recognised qualification, a Law Master’s is a great addition to your portfolio. With a strong level of support from the start, as well as four weeks guaranteed Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) within our Legal Advice Clinics. This course is a great introduction to law if you hold an undergraduate degree in another discipline. Successful completion of the MA Law (SQE1) also qualifies you to progress on to study the SQE2 Preperation Course to become a solicitor.
- 15 months (Full-time)
- Up to 26 months (Part-time)
Information at a Glance
January 2023 (Pending registration)
This intake is subject to registration approval by the Non-local Course Registry.
To be updated soon
To be updated soon
Medium of Instruction:English
Mode of Instruction:
The University of Law
• One of the UK’s longest-established specialist providers of legal education since 1876
• Courses are taught by qualified lawyers. Students will also benefit from practical training other than just theoretical teaching
• Access to a number of opportunities to work on cases while studying
• UK’s largest legal alumni group with over 80,000 members. The University of Law Hong Kong Alumni Network (HKAN) has a strong alumni database, including qualified lawyers from the Hong Kong, United Kingdom and other Asia Pacific countries
• Working with 90 of the top 100 UK law firms
• Close links with a wide range of barristers’ chambers
• Providing students with the best employability service including professional advice, practical experience and links to the profession to help our students to succeed in their career goals
Flexible Study Options
• Both full-time and part-time options are available
The MA Law (SQE1) is a conversion course designed for non-law graduates. On successful completion of this course, including the SQE1 assessments, you will gain an internationally recognised Master’s qualification.
Although there is no longer a formal requirement for qualification as a solicitor, this course will give learners the academic legal knowledge they need (as part of Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) for SQE1) and will encourage learners to think like a lawyer from the start.
This MA Law conversion course also develops the key professional skills and behaviours required by lawyers, alongside skills required to pass professional examinations for qualification as a solicitor. In all modules there is a focus on combining knowledge and understanding of core areas of law with the ability to analyse, evaluate and form critical judgements about the law. Study is centred on practical activities that enable students to learn by doing to help them thrive as a lawyer in a work environment.
Many employers value the combination of a non-law undergraduate area of expertise combined with the solid grounding in core legal principles and legal skills, provided by a law conversion course.
The Law & Constitution module requires 40-50 hours of pre-course study in Legal Method, through guided module units with all materials provided online.
|English Legal System and Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law)||15|
|Administrative Law and Human Rights||15|
|Law of Organisations||15|
|Skills and Behaviours||Non-credit-bearing|
This course develops the key intellectual and personal skills required by lawyers, alongside skills required to pass professional examinations for qualification as a solicitor.
All modules focus on combining knowledge and understanding of core areas of law with the ability to analyse, evaluate and form critical judgements about the law. Study is centred on practical activities that enable students to learn by doing. Workshops involve students completing further practice based tasks, including an application of FLK to Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs).
Alongside academic modules, students will engage in a Skills and Behaviours module, allowing you to recognise and develop key professional and personal attributes necessary to thrive as a lawyer in a work environment, and to manage your career. The SQE1 Preparation Course will also prepare you for the SQE1 assessments, which will test your FLK.
On successful completion of this course, including the SQE1 assessments, you will gain an internationally recognised Master’s qualification.
The upcoming intake will commence in January^ in 2023.
^ The University of Law is seeking registration under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance, Cap. 493 for MA Law (SQE1).
- Students are required to possess a 2:2 or above from an undergraduate degree in any discipline or equivalent qualifications.
- English language requirements for applicants whose first language is not English: An English Language level equivalent to IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component.
Please note that non-local students can only undertake full-time courses. Part-time study is not permitted due to Hong Kong Immigration Department regulations.
|Dr Sonia Lee|
The information is for guidance only and does not form part of any contract. The University of Law reserves the right to change any of the programmes, entry requirements and tuition fees without notice.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.