Endorsed by Vocational TrainingCouncil (VTC) – Transport and Logistics Training Board Out-Centre Course(OCC) Scheme for Financial Year (FY) 2020-21
~ Subsidy per participant from VTC: 50% OFF on the Course Fee for enrolment before 5 Nov 2020 ~
Hong Kong, being the regional logistics hub, is connected to the world and the Mainland China hinterland by a world-class international airport, a container terminal renowned for its efficiency and extensive land crossings.
The Hong Kong Management Association offers a Certificate Course on Law of Business and Carriage in the Transport and Logistics Business to meet the increasing demand for high-calibre professionals in the supply chain and logistics fields.
- to provide participants with knowledge of the key areas of law as applied to inventory and logistics management.
- to enable participants to identify the legal aspects involved in their daily operations and management decisions.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the Hong Kong legal system;
- Explain the general principles of the law of contract in a business context;
- Apply the legal principles in relation to the law of agency;
- Apply the legal principles under Sale of Goods Ordinance;
- Understand the major models of international trade; and
- Understand the duties and liabilities of carrier and shipper/consignor under the Contract of Carriage.
Information at a Glance
Commencement Date:November 18, 2020
Deadline for New Application:November 5, 2020
Tuition fee for Members:HK$3,280
Tuition fee for Non-members:HK$3,600
Medium of Instruction:Cantonese
Mode of Instruction:Face-to-face
- The Legal Framework
- The nature and sources of law and principles of contract law
- The Law of Agency
- Nature and Formation
- Duties of Agent and Principal
- Third Party’s Rights against the Principal and the Agent
- Principal’s Rights against the Third Party
- The Sale and Supply of Goods
- The contract of sale and duties of the parties
- Delivery and the buyer’s remedies
- Manufacturers and product liability
- Title conflicts in sales transactions
- Buyer’s duties and seller’s remedies
- International Trade
- The nature and structure of international trade
- Bills of lading
- Financing international trade
- Rights and Duties of the Seas Carrier
- The contract of carriage
- Duties and liabilities of the carrier
- Duties and liabilities of the shipper
- Consignees and indorsees
- Claims against carrier for loss, damage or delay
The programme targets to executives in the transport and logistics industry.
Cantonese (supplemented with English terminologies)
Course materials, mid-term assessment and final examinations are in English.
- A minimum of 80% attendance is required;
- One mid-term assessment in the form of a written assignment (20%); and
- A 2-hour final examination (80%).
Mr. MK Shum
Mr. Shum was admitted as a Solicitor in Hong Kong in 1984. He is a Partner of Wong Shum & Co., Solicitors & Notaries. He is also a Notary Public and China-Appointed Attesting Officer. He has been a Visiting Lecturer-at-law since 1985. He was also an Academic Assessor in Business and Company Law.
50% OFF on the Course Fee:
HKMA member: HK$1,640
Non-HKMA member: HK$1,800
Participants of this course are eligible to claim reimbursement from VTC if they are:
- a Hong Kong Resident; and
- an employee working for the Transport and Logistics Industry in Hong Kong.
At the first lesson of this course, all participants will receive an application form (VTC/TL1) for Partial Reimbursement of Course Fee. The HKMA programme secretariat will collect the Form followed by forwarding to VTC. All applications will be vetted for checking of the applicants’ eligibility. Applications not satisfying the conditions will be rejected.
To be qualified to get the subsidy, participants should achieve an attendance of at least 80% and pass the assessment of the programme.
For more details on the scheme, please visit VTC website: https://www.vtc.edu.hk/html/tc/about/others5251.html
Graduates of the “Certificate Course on Law of Business and Carriage in the Transport and Logistics Business” are eligible to apply exemption for the module of “Law of Business and Carriage” offered in Professional Diploma in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
For more details, please visit the course website: www.hkma.org.hk/pd/pdlsc.
- Secondary school graduates;
- Possess 2 or more years of work experience; and
- Have a reasonable command of English.
HKMA member: HK$3,280
Non-HKMA member: HK$3,600