3D Modelling is using specialized computer software to create graphics to represent an object in a 3D space; it is done by manipulating points in a virtual space and can produce objects that are fully animated. The final product is essential for character animation and special effects along with many creative industries. This technology can help artists communicate their ideas to others.
The usage of 3D modelling is growing as more industries require using computers to generate graphics for their products. Advance software provides artists the tools to bring these creations to life. A number of careers are using this tool in their jobs; film-set designers have been using it to design their environment, engineers and architects have been using it to plan and design their work. After participants learn how to use these tools, they can create models and sculptures, advertisements, games, web creation and product designs, these designs can then be used in a variety of works, including virtual reality (VR), films, TV, commercials and video games.
3D modelling is popularly used by game designers, where its usage has increased exponentially over the years to help create scenes and characters. But beyond the creative industries, more careers have been incorporating this technology in their work; marketing specialists use this technology to create scenes for their marketing campaigns, architectures find this technology useful as they can build a mock-up of their designs virtually. It has even helped healthcare professionals better understand patients’ health issues through constructing body structures and helped find better solutions for the patient.
3D modelling is was worth over billions of dollars in 2019 and is one of the fastest growing markets to build and design markets. The online live course aims to introduce the technique of 3D modeling and animation to the participants after completion of the course, participants will be able to create 3D objects and scenes, create 3D animation and can develop their skills to work in projects of different fields.
|Free Online Maya Workshop|
|11:00 - 13:00|
- Maya 2020 Interface Overview and Basic Operation
- Basic Modeling Tools Overview
- 3D Animation Basic Concepts
- Arnold Lighting & Rendering
The course will be separated into two parts. This part will include 7 topics, 21 hours.
Cantonese supplemented with English if necessary
A participant who has maintained a minimum of 70% attendance of total lecture hours and passed the final project will be awarded a “Certificate in the 3D Modelling and Animation” for the module passed.
Basic operation of Maya
- Viewports and Navigation in Maya
- Objects Transform, Clone Objects
- Shelf Editor, Hot Keys
- Modification of Pivot Points
- Hypergraph, Outliner
- Grouping, Parenting
- Object Attributes
- NURBS Curve
- Modeling Toolkit : Extrude Faces, Bevel, Multi-Cut, Connect
- Insert Edge Loop , Merge Vertices
- Make Hole
- Lattice Deformer
- Exercise: Creating a Chair using the Polygonal & NURBS modeling skills
Basic Maya Materials Editing
- Common Material Attributes, Specular Shading
- Creating Materials such as Plastic, Wood, Metallic, Glass (Maya Software)
Texture Mapping, UV Editing
- Diffuse Map, Bump Map, Normal Map (Maya Software)
- Mapping Methods: Planar, Cylindrical and Spherical mapping
- UV Editing: UV Shell, Cut UV, Unfold, Align
Arnold Shaders and Arnold Renderer
- Arnold Standard Surface
- Arnold Shader: Metallic, Glass, Car Paint, Water, Cheese, Jade
- Arnod Bump Map, Normal Map, Displacement Map
- Subsurface Application
- How to reduce noise in Arnold rendering
Basic Lighting, Shadows Properties, Arnold Lights
- Types of Lights (Maya Software): Ambient Light, Directional Light, Point Light, Sport Light, Area Light
- Shadow Properties: Light Attributes, Depth Map Shadow, Raytrace Shadow
- Arnold Lights: Area Light, Skydome Light for interior scene, Mesh Light
Mr Ronald Leong
- Graduated from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, majoring in Computer Science
- Has over 10 years of teaching experience. He has taught 3D courses for many universities and education institutions
- Produced 3D films and animated 3D TV shows as the Animation Director, as well as other 3D projects
- Currently working as a VR Designer and the President of a 3D production company
- Completion of Form 5
- Participants do not need prior knowledge of 3D modelling. After completion of the course, they will have a basic understanding of 3D modelling and can create their own projects.
Member: HKD 2,000
Non-Member: HKD 2,200